Tuesday, June 24, 2008

All for the glory of God...

Fire pink, Indigo Bunnting, and snowy pink. Just a few of Gods more wonderful things. Others on the list could include Stella Roses smile, Mikes couriousity, Gregs laugh, Mayas questions, Lydias shyness, and the recent enjoyment of nature I've discovered. (I also discovered that mud is difficult to get out of tennis shoes, but that's a different story.) Take a moment, and really look around you, what wonderful things has God put in your life that you have taken for granted? For me it's all about the small stuff right now. The moments with my family, the joy in serving, the clover I drive by every time I go up my drive. A lizard made me laugh today. Take the time to laugh. Take time to talk, but listen too.

On a different and much sadder note...

A friends husband died, very suddenly, today, and they don't even know weither he was saved or not. How do you cope with that? What can be said to encourage the family? What words should be avoided at all costs? I don't know, but want to send my condolances. I wasn't very close to him, but she and I tought Sunday school together.

2 comments:

paul said...

I have found that words are highly overrated in these moments. If you haven't said them by now, you are not close enough to say them now. I ususally just say, "Hey, I'm really sorry. Is there anything I can do?" (And if you really want to serve, suggest somethings, as most will say, "I will call you if I need anything.") Something like, "I would like to bring over a meal, cut your grass, watch your dog, etc." Also, it's great to have someone volunteer to sit in the house during the funeral as that is when most break in happen.

But presense is much louder than words at this point.

Margaret said...

Thea, I had a friends' dad pass away suddenly last week. I also had no idea what to say to her either. I just let her know that I was there if she neded anyone to talk to, laugh with, or sit quietly and cry. I also reminded her that someday memories would come back and make her crack a smile, open up in laughter, or just ponder all that her father brought into her life. Just being there for your friend, in whatever way she needs, is the best you can do for her...