Friday, May 2, 2008

What about you?

This morning Bob and I where driving in Athens and listening to 91.3, nothing new for him, but I don't really listen to it. Anyway, they do this thing on Fridays where common everyday people talk with common every day people. Today this girl was talking with her grandfather (who is 90). First of all I can't imagin being 90. She was asking him about his life. He said some interesting things.
He said his father couldn't understand him, because he wasn't a farmer like the rest of his family. His brother followed in their fathers footsteps, but he couldn't have, "to save his life" as he put it. They talked about her grandma (who has passed away), it was sad to hear a 90 year old man cry about loosing the love of his life. She asked him why he loved her grandma so and he said, "I don't know, I just do". They had been married 70 years. 70 YEARS....... That is amazing to me. I can't imagin what I will be like when I am 90. When I am 90, if Bob or I are still around, we'll have been married 70 years. They closed the mini interview by him saying to her that her grandma and him NEVER followed in anyone elses shoes and neither should she.

What a blessing to hear this man tell his grand daughter that. It makes me wonder am I blazing my own trails? Or following in someone elses path? What about you?

2 comments:

paul said...

i will be long dead by 90 and my blazing light will be long extinguished.

thea said...

Don't say that. You never know with the increasing "miricals" that doctors are able to perform these days we may all live well into our 100's.